Sunday, November 28, 2010
Hello Japan! November Challenge
In Spring it is the Dawn is a blog about Japanese culture and literature I've recently discovered. Challenges are part of the blog and November's challenge is a meme with five questions to answer. Why not participate I thought. So here goes:
1. My favorite Japanese small city is Kamakura because the Daibutsu is located in this area
Daibutsu or Great Buddha at Kamakura.
and call me a philistine but I also enjoy the shops along Komachi-dori.
2. The best Japanese Museum I've seen this past year is the Munakata Shiko Memorial Museum in Aomori.
Munakata Shiko Memorial Museum.
Munakata Shiko was a talented artist from Aomori whose abstracts of local scenes and black and white prints are wonderful.
3. Japanese books, authors enjoyed and highly recommend to others.
The Dancing Girl of Izu by Kawabata.
4. Something Japanese that you'd like to try but haven't had the chance.
Kyoto cusine known as Kyoto-ryori which is a meal of tofu and yuba tofu dishes exquisitely presented and delicious.
5. Planning a visit to Japan, money is not a concern, what's at the top of your list to do?
Hashima Island. Located 12.4 miles (20 kilometers) from Nagasaki. When this coal mine island owned by Mitsubishi was abandoned in 1974 the 5,000 residents left. Now the abandoned island is a tourist attraction. One can visit specific areas of the island and take photos.
Hashima Island. Photo from japan-guide.com.