Monday, September 12, 2011

Sumac

Here in Vermont one harbinger of fall is when the sumac leaves turn color. With our recent flash floods and damage from the tropical storm/hurricane Irene I hadn't noticed that the beginning of fall was upon us. The past couple of morning have been cool with temperatures of 58F/14.4C and the days warmer with temperatures in the 70'sF/23C. This an an ideal day for me but to others signals the beginning of fall and then winter weather.


Most everything is still green except for a sumac bush which has turned color.



These sumac still say summer to me.



However this says fall to me.


Sumac and other green trees.



Close up of a drupe (red bunches of sumac fruit).



Another close up.



2 comments:

YTSL said...

Hi sbk --

Interesting post. And on the subject of weather and seasons: tomorrow is the Chinese mid-autumn festival. Problem is that it still feels like summer to me here in Hong Kong -- although I did feel while hiking yesterday that it *was* cooler than in previous weeks and the "very hot weather" has not been in effect in days! ;)

sbk said...

hi ytsl,

Thanks for you comments.

Weather is funny isn't it...here it was hot and sticky one day and the next morning just above freezing....I became aware of this when walking my dog wearing a short sleeved shirt...burrrr.