Friday, November 18, 2011

Southern California - Along Route 94

San Diego county which is bigger than the state of Rhode Island encompasses both the city of San Diego and the desert countryside to the east. On a recent visit we drove along California Route 94 which is entirely in San Diego county near the Mexican border. It was fun taking photos so different from the ones I take in Vermont.





Lots of rocks along this drive.



And sandy desert roads too.



More desert vegetation.






Reminds me of snow in Vermont.



Cactus.







Interesting rock formation.







3 comments:

YTSL said...

Hi sbk --

Since Hong Kong is about the size of Rhode Island, guess San Diego county's bigger than it too! And funny -- but with the exception of the cactus photo, a lot of your other desert pics look like they could have been taken in Hong Kong (because there are parts of it that are very rocky indeed)! :O

sbk said...

hi ytsl,

I think lots of places (Vermont too) have similar rocky terrain. It's hard sometimes in nature photography to identify where photos are taken unless it's a famous place or put in context another way. Unless one has a spiffy lens vegetation often looks flat and is hard to identify.

YTSL said...

Hi again sbk --

Actually, I think upon further glance that I can see/recognize sage brush in at least one of your photos -- and that we don't have in Hong Kong. (Sage brush, BTW, is something I will always remember from the summer I spent doing archaeology in the Four Corners region of the US...) :)

More re vegetation: actually, I beg to differ re your idea that much of it looks alike. Among other things, if you see photos of the Malaysian rainforest, you'll notice how super dense and layered it is, I'm sure. ;b