Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Daibutsu at Kamakura - Winter

On cold day in January I took a train from Tokyo's Shinjuku Station to Kamakura where I then took a local bus to the Daibutsu stop for my fourth visit to this symbol of Japan which has become a "must see" for me every trip. I'd never visited in winter I told myself as I paid the entry fee and again I was not disappointed.


Wow, winter is the time to visit the Daibutsu as there were very few people visiting that day. Other seasons no matter what day of the week the place is usually full of people.



Gray Daibutsu with the browns of winter in the background.



The colorful offerings really stood out on this winter day.



A closer view.



More gray Buddha against a brown landscape. He's not tall for a buddha (13.35 meters/42.8 feet) and I admit that I was not bowled over on my initial visit. However his serentiy and his weathered look from years in the outdoors have grown on me on subsequent visits. A trip to Japan isn't complete without a vist.



A figure of Jizo on the temple grounds.



The Daibutsu from the back. You can climb inside for a nominal fee. It was beginning to get dark (and colder) as the sky clouded over so I said so long to the Daibutsu and I'll visit you on my next trip.

No comments: