Friday, February 10, 2012

Tokyo - Neighborhood Photos

A few photos taken in the area in Tokyo where I stay.




The ubiquitous vending machine. This one features the actor Tommy Lee Jones.



I couldn't resist taking a photo of cars wrapped in giant clear plastic next to a building partly covered in plastic.



An elderly lady parked her Yamaha scooter near the entry to a local supermarket. The scooter is equipped with not one but two rear view mirrors!




I didn't appreciate just how important the mirrors at the end of narrow streets are until I drove in Japan.



A local antique shop. Funky stuff inside.




Local street. As many times as I have visited Tokyo I still enjoy taking pictures of common objects that are different than their counterparts at home. The electrical wires in this photo are a case in point.



It seems like I have read a zillion informative books and articles about Tokyo. I was so excited to discover this personal graphic memoir about Tokyo that I read it in one sitting. Florent Chavouet spent several months in Tokyo riding his bike to different neighborhoods. His sketches and comments on life in this interesting city are wonderful and delightful.It's a book I will reread.

2 comments:

YTSL said...

Hi sbk --

1) Wonder if Tommy Lee Jones realized that some Americans would be seeing those Boss ads...

2) Teehee re the Yamaha scooter. What are the chances of getting and using one in the US, I wonder? ;b

sbk said...

hi ytsl,

I think perhaps celebrities are well paid so they don't care if fellow country men see their ads abroad.

I haven't seen any Yamaha scooters here. Maybe I could get a franchise for them????