Monday, July 9, 2012

Summer - Out and About





This canal system was very important to the westward expansion in the 19th century. In junior high school in Buffalo, New York we studied  the Erie Canal which runs east to west.  Until we moved to Vermont I never thought much about the north south Champlain Canal but now when driving around I often stop at the different locks along this part of the canal.




Lock 9-C is literally in the middle of nowhere and they have parking.





Two levels of the canal but no boats.  The water is brown from recent rains.





Stop light on the canal.





All is quiet south of the canal.




There didn't seem any boats coming through the lock so I headed over to Lake Saint Catherine in
Vermont where a local marina building was being taken down.




Only the floor and part of one wall remain.





Closer view of heavy equipment and a boat docked nearby.





More boats and not much going on here either.

2 comments:

YTSL said...

Hi sbk --

I think these are the first US canal pics I've seen!

The family of an old school friend of mine in England actually owned a canal boat. I remember one time when I visited, we actually went boating on a canal.

Of course, in days of yore, the canals in England were mainly used for commercial purposes. But these days, they serve leisure purposes. Is that the case in your area?

sbk said...

hi ytsl,

I've seen commercial& pleasure boats on the Erie Canal but mostly pleasure boats on the Champlain canal.

This year I haven't happened by when a boat was going through a lock.