Friday, October 4, 2013

Montreal - Windows





On my recent trip to Montreal I chose to go with a bus trip sponsored by a local garden center.  Usually I like to make my own travel plans and go by myself but this offer was too good to pass up. The bus trip included travel to and from Montreal, tickets for the Botanic Garden, and in the afternoon a choice of two times to be taken to Old Montreal where we would leave for our trip back to Vermont.  It was a one day trip in which I did not have to drive and the price was reasonable.

Old Montreal is the once walled historic center of the city which was founded in 1642 and is a very popular destination for both locals and tourists.  There are many historical sites, shops, restaurants with indoor and outdoor seating plus it's a festive place to people watch.  And it's walkable. I strolled around taking pictures and noticed how many different styles of windows I saw not only in Old Montreal but from the bus as we drove through the city.




                                 The very large and impressive Montreal City Hall built in the
                                 French Second Empire style.
                                  




                                 Close up of the Montreal City Hall with ornate masonry work.






                                         Old Montreal. The street floor is a restaurant.






                                                Another building in Old Montreal.













                                  In Montreal the old and newer buildings are side by side.






                                  Red window trim and doors are seen throughout the city.






       






                                       Modern exterior of a cafe I went to in the old city.






                                              Taken from our bus. Red trim and doors.

2 comments:

YTSL said...

Hi sarah sbk --

In the fourth photo, I see graffiti on an old building's wall. Is graffiti a problem in Montreal?

Also, about old and new buildings being side by side: the most marked examples of this that I've seen were in Berlin -- and you just knew that the newer buildings had been erected on sites that had been bombed...

sarah sbk said...

Hi ytsl,

Compared to the amount of graffiti I saw in New York this summer, Montreal does not have a problem. And I have recently noticed three books on the art of graffiti. One of my favorite artists, Aiko or Lady Aiko, is a graffiti artist though she does works inside too.